Paternity and Custody for Non-Married Couples

Custody for Unmarried Couples in Houston

If you are about to have a child with someone you are not married to, there are legal precautions that can help avoid difficult situations. The right lawyer can help you protect your parental rights and make sure you do not find yourself in a de facto marriage you are not ready for.

We are dedicated to helping Texas families with their family law matters, including custody concerns. Unmarried couples often face a number of unique challenges when raising a child. We can help you address these concerns and protect your rights.

Avoiding a Common Law Marriage

If you and your partner are having a child, you have to be careful, because if you live together, you could end up with a common law marriage. This may mean that some of your assets become part of a community estate, regardless of your intentions. In order to exit a common law marriage, you will have to get a divorce. Luckily, with the help of an attorney, there are simple things you can do to continue living together and avoid this situation while insuring the protection and rights of your children.

Determining Custody for Unmarried Parents

Many unmarried parents have no intention of staying together as a couple. In these cases, a number of concerns can arise. The first step is to determine paternity. Once you have legally established the identity of the father, your lawyer can help you cement your parental rights, or relinquish them, and come up with the right custody and support plan accordingly.


Many people think they can handle the legal concerns that come with being an unmarried parent on their own. Before you try to deal with the other parent or the attorney general of Texas alone, make sure you have all the facts and the right attorneys representing you. Don’t wait for a complication to arise — you want an attorney by your side on day one. From our office in Houston, we are ready to help you save time and money by addressing your concerns right from the beginning. Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation.